EKWB – Aquatuning Cooperation
Yesterday on the 17th of May 2013, Aquatuning went public with a press release regarding EKWB. EKWB feels obliged to share more information on that subject to put things into the right perspective.
Regarding development of many products:
EKWB has a know-how agreement with Aquatuning with annexes for three products on it (EK Supreme, EK Supreme LT, EK-BAY Spin Reservoir). One is still effective and EKWB is paying fees. Procedures regarding products were as follows:
1. EK Supreme: The know-how that EKWB got for EK Supreme was a simple drawing done while meeting with Aquatuning. The drawing included basic principle of »jet-microfins«. All research and development to make the EK-Supreme #1 CPU water block on the market at that time was done by EKWB in following 8 months. As we realized only after signing the agreement, similar products were already on the market, so the principle was nothing new. Please see product 1 from year 2005, and product 2, product 3 and product 4 from even more recent time frames. EKWB had been paying fees as agreed upon for more than 3 years.
2. EK Supreme LT: In the meantime, EKWB developed further EK Supreme models with their own resources. Supreme LT, which is quite a side step from original EK-Supreme, was developed entirely in EKWB R&D. The concept of simple micro-fins was also around before this time. As EKWB went with the name Supreme LT, EKWB took its own initiative and signed annex to the agreement.
3. EK-BAY Spin Reservoir: Annex for EK-BAY Spin Reservoir was also signed after a drawing with the basic principles. It is still currently effective.
Regarding critical events in cooperation:
- Aquatuning started to sell products from competitors which were using the same cooling engine »jet-microfins«, that EKWB was paying know-how fees to Aquatuning. There were numerous attempts from management team of EKWB to somehow resolve discrepancy with no avail.
- Furthermore, Aquatuning went on and copied the EK Reservoir: EK-MULTIOPTION RES Rev 2. – Aquatuning Phobya Balancer. EKWB sent inquiries regarding know-how fees on this product to Aquatuning, but the answer from Aquatuning was that there are many reservoirs that look nearly the same.
- After EKWB finished the contract, Aquatuning began to sell their own UC-1 CPU Water Block made on the principles of »jet-microfins«. After that, Aquatuning pressed EKWB for royalties.
- As of December 2012, Aquatuning almost totally stopped with orders. Contradictory, Aquatuning continued putting new EKWB products on their site with delivery dates, even though there were no orders for those items. Aquatuning also put delivery dates of EKWB products that were out of stock, and not re-ordered from EKWB. As this situation was becoming a bit strange with no orders and goods and dates on Aquatuning site, EKWB asked Aquatuning to start ordering again or stop ordering at all.
Today’s press release is a conclusion to this matter. EKWB’s intention was never to terminate the contract. EKWB just wanted both parties to stick to the same principals. We regretfully have accepted the decision of Aquatuning.
We apologize that our users and fans have been bothered with this event, this is EKWB’s first and last press release on this subject. We are looking forward to sharing exciting and new products coming in the near future from EKWB.